Hasbro has canceled the Dungeons & Dragons action-adventure game that was in development at Giant Skull, the independent studio founded by Star Wars Jedi director Stig Asmussen.
The canceled project was announced in June 2025 as a single-player action-adventure game for PC and console. Wizards of the Coast, Hasbro's Dungeons & Dragons steward, had signed an exclusive publishing agreement with Giant Skull at the time. Less than a year later, Bloomberg reports that Hasbro has ended the deal.
A Wizards of the Coast spokesperson told Bloomberg that the company decided not to continue with what it described as an early concept from Giant Skull.
"We assess concepts at every stage of development. While we decided not to pursue an early concept from Giant Skull, we have great respect for Stig Asmussen and his team and value our ongoing relationship."
Asmussen also told Bloomberg that "things are good at Giant Skull," according to the report. The statement suggests the studio is not closing as a direct result of the cancellation, although its next project has not been announced.
A short-lived D&D project from a veteran action-game director
The game drew attention because of Asmussen's recent track record. Before founding Giant Skull, he directed Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor at Respawn Entertainment. Earlier in his career, he worked at Sony Santa Monica, including as creative director on God of War 3.
When Wizards of the Coast announced the Giant Skull agreement on June 2, 2025, the company said the game would be an original Dungeons & Dragons action-adventure title made in Unreal Engine 5. The announcement described Giant Skull as a studio focused on gameplay-driven, story-led action games and said more details would be revealed later. Those details never arrived before the cancellation.
The decision does not mean Hasbro is walking away from video games or from Dungeons & Dragons. Wizards of the Coast still has other projects in development, including Exodus from Archetype Entertainment and Warlock: Dungeons & Dragons from Invoke Studios. Warlock was announced as another single-player D&D action-adventure game, while Exodus is a sci-fi RPG from a team that includes former BioWare developers.
Hasbro's games strategy has already seen some turbulence. The company previously highlighted a wider push into internal game development, but some of those plans have changed over the last year. Atomic Arcade has since shut down and Skeleton Key's horror project was reportedly canceled, leaving the company with fewer announced projects than it had when the Giant Skull partnership was revealed.
For Dungeons & Dragons fans, the cancellation removes one of the more intriguing post-Baldur's Gate 3 possibilities from Hasbro's slate. Giant Skull's game was never shown publicly, so players never saw gameplay, a release window or named platforms beyond PC and console. The clearest confirmed effect is narrower: one announced D&D game from a high-profile action-game director is no longer moving ahead.
